Need a wick for your old treasure? Try Miles Stair's Wick Shop Click Here
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Boneweed

Registered:
Posts: 22
Reply with quote  #1 
Last Saturday I was working on a couple of flea market propane camp stoves in my garage with a kero heater burning. When I removed a regulator from a 1 lb cylinder the valve stayed open spewing propane for a few seconds near the lit heater. I think dropping the tank on it's head (accidently) closed the valve. If it had stayed on there would have been a conflagration. I've done this hundreds of times, (usually outdoors), without incident. I would imagine that most people with this hobby have a burning appliance in their workshops this time of year. Do not remove a regulator from a propane cylinder (at least the small ones with no manual valve) indoors.
Lamplighter44

Registered:
Posts: 149
Reply with quote  #2 
That's good advice. I've only had problems with two valves sticking like that and both were outdoors at the time. Not sure what, if anything, could be done to prevent the problem. I wondered if it might be a bit of icing from discharging the propane under pressure.

larryh

Registered:
Posts: 316
Reply with quote  #3 
I have my own "almost a disaster" story.  When restoring a small two burner gasoline cooking stove I had cleaned out the lines and burners and was testing it out. It didn't light exactly like it should so I took the lines off again in order to work on the burner parts. I put it back together on top luckily of my wood range.  To light it you start the generator heater and after a bit open the main valve to allow the pressurized gas to the cooking burners.  What I didn't realize was that one of the connections had a fitting right under the rim of the stove, which I managed to miss connecting. When I opened the valve that let the gas to the burners it instead came pouring out the side of the stove, which instantly caught fire sending flames shooting nearly to the ceiling.  As fast as I saw what had happened I shut off the valve but the gas was out enough to burn off the top of the cooking stove and fortunately I stopped it fast enough to keep it from spraying it out to the floor.  It took it a minuet or so to burn the gas so that it would go out.  Had I not had it on the iron cooking top I would have had a disaster for sure.  So be careful when reassembling anything under pressure that burns a fuel. 

Larry
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: